The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has detained Mr. Sirajo Salisu Usman, the brother of National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) Chairman and CEO Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman (also known as Pakistan), over allegations of multi-billion naira fraud. EFCC operatives arrested Mr. Sirajo on Wednesday afternoon in Abuja. They had previously questioned him earlier this month, along with other senior officials from the commission.
Sources within the EFCC revealed that Mr. Usman, whom colleagues nicknamed “ka fi chairman” (a “de facto NAHCON Chairman”), spent the night in EFCC custody in Abuja. Mr. Sirajo, Professor Pakistan’s biological brother, currently serves as Deputy Director in the Chairman’s Office at NAHCON. A source inside the Hajj commission told SaharaReporters, “The chairman’s brother is still in EFCC detention as of 12 p.m. on Thursday.”
Financial Scandals and Investigations Rock NAHCON
Multiple sources stated that Mr. Sirajo Salisu Usman’s arrest is connected to the EFCC’s ongoing investigation into the alleged loss of over ₦50 billion in public funds under Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman’s leadership. Reports indicate that during the 2025 Hajj alone, the commission under Professor Pakistan allegedly squandered ₦25 billion on Masha’ir tents, ₦1.6 billion on spouses, and ₦8 billion on Makkah contingency houses, among other expenditures.
On August 19, the EFCC also detained NAHCON’s Commissioner of Policy, Personnel, and Finance (PPMF), Aliu Abdulrazak, and the Commissioner of Planning, Research, Statistics, Information, and Library Services (PRSILS), Professor Abubakar A. Yagawal, over alleged fraud. Earlier, on August 7, the anti-graft agency questioned other senior officials, including Abdulmalik Diggi, Deputy Director (Accounts) and Special Adviser (General Services) to the C/CEO; Barrister Nura Danladi, the commission’s Legal Adviser; and Mr. Sirajo. Insiders say the EFCC is also investigating cases of inflated spending by NAHCON officials, stakeholders, and spouses, which reportedly amount to about ₦4 billion. SaharaReporters learned that an internal NAHCON finance department report described the commission’s bookkeeping as reflecting “considerable financial inefficiency.”
A Brother’s Alleged Role in Mismanagement
Sources allege that Mr. Sirajo has been central to the commission’s financial scandals since his brother’s appointment, accused of granting approvals without the chairman’s knowledge. “Mr. Sirajo is a powerful force in the commission. This is an open secret,” a top official said. “He derives his power from the chairman’s lack of capacity in reading and understanding the English Language.” Another NAHCON official corroborated this, saying that “Mr. Sirajo translates and helps treat official memos and other communications for the chairman.” The source added, “That is the advantage he takes in micromanaging everyone in the commission.”
Another official said, “Mr. Sirajo is the one making comments on all the NAHCON memos. Mr. Pakistan only affirms his signature. That is why staff members are urging the EFCC to conduct a forensic investigation of all the approvals granted by Mr. Pakistan.” A staff member knowledgeable about the case said, “It was Mr. Sirajo who singlehandedly secured the 6,500 contingency bed spaces in Makkah that were never used, leading to the loss of ₦8 billion.” The staff member added, “This is one of the cases EFCC is investigating now. He is at the center of all the cases being investigated by the EFCC.” SaharaReporters reports how the commission under Mr. Pakistan wasted at least ₦8 billion on 6,200 “contingency bed spaces” for non-existent pilgrims in Makkah during the 2025 Hajj.
Broader Investigations and Staff Discontent
Contrary to NAHCON spokesperson Fatima Usara’s claims that the official’s detention was “a routine operation,” sources stated that the EFCC is conducting a comprehensive investigation into the 2025 Hajj operation. This includes alleged misappropriation of public funds, abuse of office, procurement fraud, and outright theft, among other offenses. The sources added that “the anti-corruption agency is investigating all departments in the Hajj commission.”
One of the sources detailed the investigation’s timeline: “On August 19, for instance, the EFCC questioned NAHCON coordinators of Makkah and Madinah during the 2025 Hajj operation. On August 20, the anti-graft agency grilled the E-Tract Team responsible for data entry for Masha’ir contracts, accommodation for Makkah and Madinah, among others. On August 21, the EFCC interrogated the desk officers for the Ulama (clerics) team, the media team, and the National Medical Team (NMT). The operatives also quizzed the leadership of the committee that screened service providers. On August 25, the EFCC officers grilled the heads of Aviation and Turaddadiyya (responsible for dispatching pilgrims to Mina, Arafat, and Muzdalifah) committees.”
Calls for Overhaul and Internal Conflict
Stakeholders have demanded a complete overhaul of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON). They insist that, beyond removing Chairman Professor Abdullahi Saleh Usman (Pakistan), officials must recover all misappropriated public funds and prosecute those responsible. SaharaReporters gathered that the NAHCON Board convened a two-day marathon meeting from Tuesday to Wednesday. During the meeting, the board reportedly accused Mr. Pakistan of breaching multiple procurement laws, retaining pool officers against directives, and acting as a sole administrator despite stern warnings from Vice President Kashim Shettima. Vice President Shettima had previously instructed Mr. Pakistan to disengage the pool officers, a directive the chairman has yet to implement. Of the 26 pool staff members in the commission, it was learned that Mr. Pakistan sponsored 25 of them for this year’s Hajj. Commission staff have threatened to shut down NAHCON if the chairman refuses to release the pool officers. They are also planning to protest against the proposed re-engagement of certain dismissed and retired workers. One of the dismissed staff members, Mr. Tawfiq Akinwale, was sacked for violating the Electoral Act 2022 and Public Service Rules by contesting the 2023 Oyo State governorship election while still in federal service.
See Also: EFCC’ Raids National Hajj Commission HQ Over Alleged N90bn Fraud…
