Connect with us

News and Report

2015: Anioma Leaders rally behind President Jonathan, present Ndudi Elumelu, 2 others for Delta Governorship

Published

on

A high-level delegation of ‎Anioma people of Delta State led by the Asagba of Asaba, Professor Chike Edozien Wednesday, last week, had a closed door meeting with President Jonathan at the State House, Abuja.

Though, the details of the meeting was not disclosed, sources informed this paper that it was to express the support of the Anioma people for the second term bid of the President and also seek the President’s backing on getting an Anioma person as the next governor of Delta State.

Speaking to State House correspondents after the meeting with the President, Professor Edozien said, “We are here to confer with the President on national issues, issue of security affecting the country and the coming elections”

He said the delegation pledged their support for the President, if he decides to seek re-election in 2015.

He also confirmed that the issue of the zone, which will produce the next governor of Delta State was also discussed, but did not zero it on a particular person.

Edozien also affirmed that the Anioma people are” very much in support of the President’s second term bid, whenever he declares his intention.”

He also confirmed that the agitation for an Anioma person to be elected governor of Delta State was also discussed with the President stating that “The issue of an Anioma person becoming the governor was one of the issues we discussed and I hope an Anioma son or daughter will be elected governor of Delta State in 2015.”

Asked who he had in mind, the monarch said, “We have many worthy sons and many people in our area that if elected will be good governors.

Sources close to the Presidency however, informed this paper that the delegation of the Anioma People presented three people as potential governorship candidates. The are Honourable Ndudi Elumelu’s, Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Health, Senator Okowa and Victor Ochei.

Recently, Ndudi Elumelu, who is the younger brother of reputable African Business Leader and philanthropist, Mr. Tony Elumelu, CON, had declared his intention to contest for the governorship position in Delta State, which becomes vacant in 2015 when the current Governor’s tenures comes to an end.

Declaring his intention during a special service to commit his ambition into the hands of God at St. Michael’s Catholic Church, Onicha-Uku in Aniocha-North Local Government Area of Delta State, the younger Elumelu promised to prioritise the welfare of the people of Delta State if given the opportunity to lead the state.

Ndudi Elumelu also donated 10 vehicles and 30 tricycles for distribution to people in the three senatorial districts of the state as part of his empowerment programme. The donation was done under a non-governmental organisation, Ndudi Elumelu Foundation, which he runs.

Speaking to members of the foundation, Elumelu thanked them for their steadfastness and promised more incentives for the coordinators to facilitate the task of mobilising the electorate towards supporting him in the 2015 elections.

He advised them to avoid violence and distractions and remain focused on the task of mobilizing support for his election as governor of Delta State.

Pix 1: l-r: The Asagba of Asaba, HRH (Prof) Chike Edozien and Honorable Ndudi Elumelu, Chairman, House of Representatives  Committee on Health during the visit of the Anioma Leaders to President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan on Wednesday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News and Report

Pictorial: Gender mobile signs Mou with university of Uyo

Published

on

By

 

Monday June 10th Gender Mobile lead by Barr Omowunmi Ogunrotimi signed an Mou with the university of Uyo lead by its Vice Chancellor Professor Nyaudoh Ndaeyo

The Mou will allow Gender Mobile to support the University of Uyo to institutionalize sexual harassment prevention frameworks through policy, preventative education, and technology adoption.

Continue Reading

News and Report

How US Billionaires Allegedly Fund Organ Trafficking In Nigeria

Published

on

By

The Global Prolife Alliance, GPA has sensationally revealed that billionaires from the United States are funding an organ trafficking cartel in Nigeria.
The GPA made the shocking revelation in a letter to President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Speaker, House Of Representatives.
The letter is signed by Academician (Dr) Philip Njemanze, Chairman, Global Prolife Alliance, GPA.
Njemanze said the cartel’s grip on the country’s healthcare system has resulted in the poaching of human organs and ovarian eggs, with millions of lives at stake.
The GPA cited the National Health Act of 2014 (NHAct 2014) as a tool for the cartel’s nefarious activities.
According to them, the cartel’s scheme involves coercing female farmers into purchasing genetically modified seeds in exchange for their ovarian eggs.

 

  • 247 Ureport

Continue Reading

News and Report

CONTRACT SCANDAL ROCKS TETFUND AS ICPC ARRESTS CONTRACTOR

Published

on

By

A contract scandal of monumental proportion is currently rocking the the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund).

So bad is the situation that operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have beamed their searchlight on the activities of TETFund.

Last Tuesday, a contractor, known as Paul Chukwuma, was arrested by the and as at the time of filling this report, he was yet to regain his freedom on account of not been able to perfect his bail condition.

We gathered that Paul Chukwuma, who is the founder and promoter of Fides Et Ratio Academy, an educational service provider was detained by the ICPC over his alleged involvement in contract mess.

Recall that the media was agog with the report of how TETFund awarded a controversial N3.8 billion contract to Mr Chukwuma’s company and paid N2.9 billion to the company in four installments without following due process

Shortly after the publication by Premium Times in April, the anti-graft body detained TETFund’s Director of Finance and Accounts, Gloria Olotu, and grilled others including the Director of Human Resources and General Administration, Kolapo Okunola, and the Director of Information Communication Technology (ICT), Joseph Odo.

Mr Chukwuma’s detention is the latest major development in the ICPC investigation that dates back to April.

ICPC’s spokesperson, Ademola Bakare, on Wednesday, confirmed Mr Chukwuma was in the agency’s custody.

The suspect, a player in the education business in the country, was also on the list of members of governing councils of tertiary institutions recently released by the Nigerian government before President Bola Tinubu directed the review of the list.

Recall that TETFund– a tertiary institutions’ funding agency under the Federal Ministry of Education– awarded the contract which it tagged: “Capacity Building Certificate Course (Communication, Entrepreneurship, and Productive Skill Development) inclusive of the Train-the-Trainer Programme for 502 (five hundred and two) Participants”.

Findings by this newspaper indicated that the funding for the contract was sourced from the 2023 annual direct disbursement budget domiciled in the agency for the use of about 251 beneficiary institutions – public universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education across the country.

Multiple sources confirmed that the institutions’ 2023 direct disbursement budget which totalled N15.2 billion was for Information Communication and Technology intervention projects.

However, rather than releasing the funds to the institutions as mandated by its operational guidelines, TETFund deducted the funds upfront from each of the institutions, amounting to a total of N7.6 billion.

During an interview with our reporters, the Executive Secretary of TETFund, Sonny Echono, told PREMIUM TIMES that each beneficiary institution contributed 50 per cent of its ICT funds while each polytechnic and college of education contributed 25 per cent of theirs to the project.

The choice of the project, the sourcing of the contractor, and signing a memorandum of understanding with the vendor were undertaken by TETFund. This development angered the administrators of most of the institutions.

Also, while the project designs and modalities were yet to be finalised, sources confirmed that within a month of the award of the contract TETFund on 30 June 2023 credited the company’s bank account with over N550 million (N550,380,780.23).

The transfer is with mandate number CBN/PROJ/224/JUN2023.

Over N820 million (N820,223,850) was additionally paid into the account on 12 July 2023, while on 26 July 2023 and 17 November 2023, N1.5 billion (N1,503,743,850) and N62.68 million (N62,684,036.05), respectively, were credited to the account by the CBN on behalf of TETFund.

Meanwhile, despite the various supposed beneficiary institutions denying the execution of the project, Mr Chukwuma, during a meeting between PREMIUM TIMES’ reporters and the company’s management, said the project “has been done and dusted.”

PREMIUM TIMES is aware that the project was designed for training 12 ICT officials across the 251 beneficiary institutions, and to onboard more than 500,000 students for both physical and virtual sessions. However, only two ICT officials in each of the tertiary institutions have taken part in what some of these officials described as engagement sessions.

Mr Chukwuma promised to make documentary evidence to back his claim to PREMIUM TIMES in April but as of the time of filing this report he has yet to do so.

He said his company was only helping Nigeria to achieve the very best for the students and the schools, saying the courses being offered the students through the programme has been “ridiculously subsidised.”

Learnt that Mr Chukwuma was on Tuesday invited to give a statement concerning his involvement in the contract scandal being investigated by the agency.

However, sources confirmed that after going through his statement, the antigraft agency imposed strict bail conditions that require the suspect to produce highly placed persons as suretees, among other conditions.

The agency’s spokesperson, Mr Bakare, who confirmed that Mr Chukwuma was in ICPC custody, said the suspect remained in detention because he could not satisfy the bail conditions.

“Yes, Chukwuma is in ICPC’s custody, unable to fulfil bail conditions,” Mr Bakare wrote in a terse statement shared with our reporter on early Wednesday. As of 6.05 p.m. when contacted over the telephone again by our reporter, Mr Bakare said he could not immediately ascertain if the suspect met the bail conditions before the end of official work hours.

Meanwhile, ICPC said the Executive Secretary of TETFund was yet to be invited, and not in its custody as being allegedly circulated.

It, however, said the investigation into the scandal was still ongoing and that it could not rule out the possibility of arresting anyone who played roles in the matter.

“Echono wasn’t invited but investigations are still ongoing,” Mr Bakare said.

Continue Reading

Trending