Connect with us

News and Report

Suspect Sponsors False N10B Allegations Against EFCC Official

Published

on

More facts have emerged over allegations of corruption levelled against a senior official of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC ) Alhaji Abubakar Aliyu Madaki claiming that he owned 474 hectares of land in Nasarawa State worth N10 billion, a N450 mansion worth of house in Wuse 2 and another N200 million worth of house for his girl friend in Wuse Zone 4,

Investigations revealed that the news report on the allegations are unfounded, cheap blackmail, total falsehood and deliberate attempt to bring the image of the official into disrepute

Findings carried out however revealed that the land at Anwan Sarkin Mada was sold to Madaki by his cousin ,Muazu Ishaq a retired Permanent secretary for N700,000 which payment was made in three installment. The land at Angwan Chediya as it was indicated in survey published in the news was purchased from one late Alh Zakari Jibirin through his friends Alh Abbas Ibrahim, Bagobiri and Abdullaziz Badamasi a.k.a Soja for N600,000 between 2011 and 2012 payment was completed.

While the land at Angwan Kyero along Madubi Road was purchased in ,2010 from Magajin Garin Bagaji, Kasimu Yahaya through his first son, Hamza kasimu for N150,000.The payment was made through Gaskiya Auta the present APC chairman Karu local Govt and the total cost of these lands was 1.45M as against the purported N10B claimed in the news report being published in some sections of the media especially the online media.This was confirmed by the vendors and some of their witnesses.

Our investigations further revealed that the lands at Angwan Monday and Angwan Saka belong to Madaki dynasty, the man behind the false report dubiously collected the survey plans from the family surveyor one Bature Musa and changed the survey name to Madaki after he had cajoled Bature that some Generals wanted to buy large hectares of lands and they preferred individual well known to represent the family preferably Alh Abubakar Aliyu Madaki.

In an interview with the Magajin Garin Keffi Alhaji Balarabe Ismaila na Kaibo who is the family Head of Maje Gunduma family, he disclosed that when he was asked to chose someone to represent the family he agreed that the name of Abubakar be used to sell the land as he, Magajin Gari is bed riden hence he chose Madaki to represent the family

He claimed that the family has vast hectares of land saying from keffi to Gitata all the land belong to Maje Gunduma include “where Army Barracks is located in Keffi is our family land you can go and cross-check the fact from the authority” The family Head said

On the N450 million mansion in Wuse claimed to had been owned by Madaki and another N200 million house bought for his lady friend, the writer failed to establish the exact address of the house in Wuse 2 as well as the seller of the house; how payment was made, which bank executed the transaction, colour and picture of the house in question among other details that would aid independent and proper investigation.

Secondly, the writer also failed to mention the name of the lady, the address of the house, mode of payment and the bank that carried out the transaction

Check revealed that Madaki has only a car and he used to come from Keffi to his office in Abuja every day while he uses his only Toyota highlander Sport Utility Van ( SUV)for his office work and for other run around activities.

One of the commission operatives who preferred anonymity said that the senior operative could not pay school fees of one of his children in the Nasarawa state University till the school closed its portal. He said when the commission chairman, Ibrahim Mustapha Magu heard of the development he shouted and felt bad

Further investigation also revealed that the poultry farms was inherited from his late Father who was a prominent farmer.Our correspondent who visited the farms reported that the farming activities there were generally declined due to financial constraints.

The poultry farm with almost ten pegs ,only three pegs were in used with 4,000 birds as against 15000-20000 that his late daddy used to rear . Indications also showed that cattle rustlers struck recently in his farm and made away with 71 cows out of 91 cows in the farms.

Investigations carried out in Madaki’s village- Gunduma and within the anti-graft commission revealed that the brain behind the purported news was a man who has some projects worth over N3B in Gunduma but the commission is investigating the source of his wealth in which he erroneously believed that it was Madaki’s who instigated the probe.

When our correspondent visited Gunduma in Karu local government reports indicated that the man’s projects was located along Keffi-Jos road after Army Barracks. The man who came to invest in the area initially told the villagers that the project was filling station, later he said bakery , at a stage he turned it to an estate but presently the man said it is a private university, the development however confused the villagers on whether the man really knows what he is doing.

A source within the commission who narrated how the man behind the purported news taught Madaki masterminded his probe said one Monday when madaki was coming to office from home in Keffi , there was gridlock and he called one of his colleagues Hamza Abdullahi in the office to hold forth for him at the meeting but later said the commission has sent him out not knowing the operative and his colleagues were going to Madaki’s village, gunduma to carry out investigation on the man .

Madaki was said to be at the meeting when the man called and told him that EFCC were in his house at Gunduma while Madaki inquired who were the operatives but he said he was in Abuja so, when he got to Gunduma he called and handed over the set to the operatives who turned out to be Hamza, Madaki told Hamza that he was going to his village for operation and he did not brief him but Hamza said he never know the place to be Madaki’s village .

According to the source ,Madaki however advised that they should do their work according to the law and not to harass anyone and he equally advised the man to corporate with the operatives. Around 4pm the man called Madaki and said that they have finished their work but they insisted they were taking him to Abuja ,Madaki pleaded with Hamza so that the man would not be detained and the man was released after writing his statement

It was gathered that the next day the man called Madaki instead of showing appreciation accused him of sending EFCC operatives to his house and madaki denied since then the man has embarked on campaigns of calumny against Madaki, vowed to ruin his name even when he sponsored the publication against Madaki, he didn’t hide it as he was sending the news report to many people including Madaki’s uncle, cousins and other relations .

Efforts to reach out to the man proved abortive as he was not at Gunduma when our correspondent visited his site and most of people at the site looked very hostile when the reporter asked of the man

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News and Report

Lawyers petition Senate over alleged oil theft in Niger Delta

Published

on

The lawyers said about $15 million per month accruable to the federal government could potentially be lost due to the absence of a functional measurement system for exported crude oil volumes at this Ugo Ocha terminal.

A group of lawyers has petitioned the Senate Ad-Hoc committee over alleged oil theft from the Ugo Ocha export terminal at OML 42 in the Niger Delta region.

The OML 42, an oil field located in the swamps of the western Niger Delta, is operated by NECONDE Energy Limited. The terminal has four flow stations with a combined production capacity of around 30,000 barrels of oil per day (bpd).

The lawyers complained that an average of one million barrels of Nigeria’s crude oil is taken away monthly by the company without accurate measurement – due to the absence of meters at this export terminal.

In the petition seen by PREMIUM TIMES and presented at the committee’s investigative hearing on “Oil Lifting, Theft and the Impact on Petroleum Production and Oil Revenues” on 21 September, the lawyers said since the terminal was established in 2017, NECONDE has frustrated efforts by the federal government to install a metering system also known as LACT Unit at the terminal. The company, they said, continues to operate the terminal in full violation of the federal government’s requirement for accurate custody transfer measurement at all export terminals.

The petition, dated 21 September, was submitted through O. F. Emmanuel & Co. It comes on the heels of oil theft and vandalism in the Nigerian oil sector.

PREMIUM TIMES reported how the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) disclosed that it loses 470,000 bpd of crude oil amounting to $700 million monthly due to oil theft.

This paper also reported how Nigeria, amid dwindling revenue, lost $10 billion to crude oil theft in seven months.

The lawyers, in the petition signed by the Principal Partner, Oluwatosin F. Emmanuel, alleged that as of the time of the petition, there are no meters at the Ugo Ocha export terminal to accurately determine the volumes of Nigeria’s crude oil sold to foreign buyers.

They said enormous amounts of revenue – to the tune of $15 million per month – accruable to the Federal Government of Nigeria could potentially be lost due to the absence of a functional measurement system for exported crude oil volumes at this terminal.

They also claimed that NECONDE continues to operate the terminal in flagrant violation of the federal government’s mandate for accurate custody transfer measurement at all export terminals.

“Been aware of this monumental revenue loss, the government of Nigeria, through NUPRC, recently placed a ban on all exports of crude oil from NECONDE’s OML 42 UGO Ocha terminal until a functional LACT Unit is installed on the terminal,” part of the petition read. “In spite of the subsisting government ban, NECONDE continues to export Nigeria’s crude oil illegitimately from the Ugo Ocha terminal while frustrating every effort to install a LACT Unit on the terminal.”

They asked the Senate panel to ensure that the ban on exports from the Ugo Ocha terminal is enforced and that the company is compelled to install a 1.25 million barrels per day LACT Unit (metering system).

The lawyers further prayed the committee to direct the Nigerian Navy to “arrest and detain the vessel “MT COPPER SPIRIT” which is currently lifting oil at the Ugo Ocha terminal, direct the NMDPRA and NUPRC to cancel all barging permits granted to NECONDE and NPDC until a LACT Unit is installed and commissioned at the Ugo Ocha terminal – as directed by NUPRC and direct the Nigeria Ports Authority to prohibit the movement of crude oil barges and tankers to and from the Ugo Ocha terminal.”

Continue Reading

News and Report

Just In: Again, national grid collapses to zero megawatts

Published

on

Nigeria’s national grid crashed to zero megawatts (MW) at 10:51am on Monday, causing power outage nationwide outage.

The collapse occurred days after electricity consumers said they had enjoyed improved supply.

The national electricity grid as of 10am on Monday had 3,712MW generated from 21 Generation Companies (GenCos) before it dropped to 0MW one hour after.

According to the information from the System Operations, a section of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), only Afam IV was on the grid but with zero supply as of 12noon.

As of Sunday, the highest generation was 4,100MW while the lowest was 3,652MW with the frequency hovering between 49.04 Hertz (Hz) and 50.34Hz.

Since July 1 this year, consumers said power supply had increased in their various areas.

For instance, the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) recently confirmed increment in its daily allocation to over 500MW from the actual 300MW it had distributed before then.

Though the national grid had not cross 5,000MW, Daily Trust observed that level of load rejection especially around the DisCos’ networks had dropped significantly with some customers entitled to five-hour supply, recording over 12 hours daily.

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had attributed the improvement in power supply nationwide to the partial activation of contracts that seeks to hold sector operators liable for deliberate incompetence.

The national grid collapsed twice, in July and in August but was quickly restored and power supply improvement was sustained before the latest system collapse on Monday.

According to records, this is the seventh system collapse this year, much more than the three recorded last year.

Although TCN, the national grid manager was yet to establish the cause of the crash, some insider said it could be as a result of a maintenance of the 330 kilovolts Jos – Bauchi transmission line maintenance slated for Monday.

Some DisCos including Kaduna Electric, Enugu, and Kano, had already communicated the nationwide outage to their customers noting that efforts were ongoing to restore supply.

Continue Reading

News and Report

Police Deploy More Personnel To Seaports In Lagos Over Nigerian Students, NANS’ Protest

Published

on

Following the ASUU strike that has kept university students across the nation at home for over seven months, NANS declared “Occupy The Airport” nationwide protest.

The Nigeria Police Force has announced that it has deployed personnel to adequately secure seaports across the nation following a threat by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to shut down commercial activities at the nation’s busiest seaports ¬¬¬¬¬¬- the Apapa and Tin-Can Island Ports in protest over the lingering strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Following the ASUU strike that has kept university students across the nation at home for over seven months, NANS declared “Occupy The Airport” nationwide protest.
The aggrieved students who protested on Monday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport also reportedly threatened to ground commercial activities at the Apapa and Tin-Can Island Ports in Lagos State.
Disclosing the security beef up to Daily Trust, the Commissioner of Police in charge of Western Port Authority Command, Jonathan Towuru, said security was tightened around the Western Ports to avoid any breakdown of law and order although the student body did not show up as threatened.
The commissioner said, “People went about their businesses while operations at the terminals went on seamlessly, without any hindrance. But if the students eventually turn up, we will engage them in discussions. I must say that they conducted themselves well on Monday at the airport even though you still saw police monitoring the protest.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending