Connect with us

News and Report

REVEALED: Spectranet is a fraud…. Real reasons why you should not buy Spectranet Modem… + Subscribers go for other internet provider!

Published

on

Internet subscribers on the network of Spectranet, one of the data services providers in the country, are having a rough time and grinding ordeal in the hands of the operator.

Mixed reactions have trailed the internet provider as they keep deceiving their subscribers with different fraudulent promos, and making promises they will never fulfill.

Remember about three years ago when the service provider announced it was migrating its operations to the LTE platform which guarantees high speed? They even sent out messages through phone calls and other channels to existing subscribers to trade in their old boxes (modem) for the new Spectranet LTE modem. And they gave a deadline to subscribers to trade in their modems at no cost to the subscribers.

According to Society Reporters NG investigation and enquiry, LTE, is initial for Long Term Evolution, marketed as 4G LTE. It is a standard for wireless communication of high-speed data for mobile phones and data terminals. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.

The world’s first publicly available LTE service was launched by TeliaSonera in Stockholm and Oslo on December 14, 2009. LTE is the natural upgrade path for carriers with both GSM/UMTS networks and CDMA networks such as Verizon Wireless, who launched the first large-scale LTE network in North America in 2010. In Nigeria, Airtel was the first telecom company to successfully carry out a demo on LTE.

However, what appears a simple exercise ran into early storm as most of the subscribers who heeded the call to trade in their modems got stocked in the mud then.

As if that was not enough, the company has been coming out with different promos to attract more subscribers to their network, but many have now confirmed that the promos never work out as announced.

A Staff of Spectranet kept mum when our reporter inquired why they were ill at ease with the delivery of their promises on getting double gigabytes if you make payment before the expiration of your data. But some of the angry customers told our reporter that Spectranet has been scamming them with monthly subscriptions that do not really add up to one month.

“Spectranet is fraudulent. Most times you are not able to use your internet due to their own technical inadequacy and this may run into days yet when they bill you they do not take into cognizance the days you did not use your modem for no fault of yours. They simply disconnect you after 30 days”, a subscriber at the Ogba office told our reporter.

We are familiar with this swindle. Before the migration to LTE, Spectranet has never offered services for 30 days in a month, in some cases the modem goes blank unable to connect to Spectranet base station but in spite of this, Spectranet terminates service after 30 days not minding that for about three or four days within those 30 days they could not offer service for technical reasons.

At one of its Ikeja office, our reporter accosted customers who made payment for the double your data promo weeks ago but who were yet to enjoy internet services. Last week when our reporter visited the ikeja office of Spectranet, a huge crowd of frustrated customers poked fun at the Spectranet staff on duty who from the looks on their faces were not happy with the manner subscribers were being treated. Tired of confronting the angry crowd and pacifying them, a technical staff on duty simply disappeared when the barrage of umbrage from subscribers became unbearable.

“I think it is time the relevant authorities look into the activities of Spectranet and other service providers in Nigeria. It is obvious they are doing in Nigeria what they cannot do in their parent countries or any other nation where they operate”, a subscriber who said he had made payment before the expiration date of the modem fumed.

We will continue our investigations and update you with the latest about the alleged fraudulent operations of the service provider

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News and Report

Lawyers petition Senate over alleged oil theft in Niger Delta

Published

on

The lawyers said about $15 million per month accruable to the federal government could potentially be lost due to the absence of a functional measurement system for exported crude oil volumes at this Ugo Ocha terminal.

A group of lawyers has petitioned the Senate Ad-Hoc committee over alleged oil theft from the Ugo Ocha export terminal at OML 42 in the Niger Delta region.

The OML 42, an oil field located in the swamps of the western Niger Delta, is operated by NECONDE Energy Limited. The terminal has four flow stations with a combined production capacity of around 30,000 barrels of oil per day (bpd).

The lawyers complained that an average of one million barrels of Nigeria’s crude oil is taken away monthly by the company without accurate measurement – due to the absence of meters at this export terminal.

In the petition seen by PREMIUM TIMES and presented at the committee’s investigative hearing on “Oil Lifting, Theft and the Impact on Petroleum Production and Oil Revenues” on 21 September, the lawyers said since the terminal was established in 2017, NECONDE has frustrated efforts by the federal government to install a metering system also known as LACT Unit at the terminal. The company, they said, continues to operate the terminal in full violation of the federal government’s requirement for accurate custody transfer measurement at all export terminals.

The petition, dated 21 September, was submitted through O. F. Emmanuel & Co. It comes on the heels of oil theft and vandalism in the Nigerian oil sector.

PREMIUM TIMES reported how the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) disclosed that it loses 470,000 bpd of crude oil amounting to $700 million monthly due to oil theft.

This paper also reported how Nigeria, amid dwindling revenue, lost $10 billion to crude oil theft in seven months.

The lawyers, in the petition signed by the Principal Partner, Oluwatosin F. Emmanuel, alleged that as of the time of the petition, there are no meters at the Ugo Ocha export terminal to accurately determine the volumes of Nigeria’s crude oil sold to foreign buyers.

They said enormous amounts of revenue – to the tune of $15 million per month – accruable to the Federal Government of Nigeria could potentially be lost due to the absence of a functional measurement system for exported crude oil volumes at this terminal.

They also claimed that NECONDE continues to operate the terminal in flagrant violation of the federal government’s mandate for accurate custody transfer measurement at all export terminals.

“Been aware of this monumental revenue loss, the government of Nigeria, through NUPRC, recently placed a ban on all exports of crude oil from NECONDE’s OML 42 UGO Ocha terminal until a functional LACT Unit is installed on the terminal,” part of the petition read. “In spite of the subsisting government ban, NECONDE continues to export Nigeria’s crude oil illegitimately from the Ugo Ocha terminal while frustrating every effort to install a LACT Unit on the terminal.”

They asked the Senate panel to ensure that the ban on exports from the Ugo Ocha terminal is enforced and that the company is compelled to install a 1.25 million barrels per day LACT Unit (metering system).

The lawyers further prayed the committee to direct the Nigerian Navy to “arrest and detain the vessel “MT COPPER SPIRIT” which is currently lifting oil at the Ugo Ocha terminal, direct the NMDPRA and NUPRC to cancel all barging permits granted to NECONDE and NPDC until a LACT Unit is installed and commissioned at the Ugo Ocha terminal – as directed by NUPRC and direct the Nigeria Ports Authority to prohibit the movement of crude oil barges and tankers to and from the Ugo Ocha terminal.”

Continue Reading

News and Report

Just In: Again, national grid collapses to zero megawatts

Published

on

Nigeria’s national grid crashed to zero megawatts (MW) at 10:51am on Monday, causing power outage nationwide outage.

The collapse occurred days after electricity consumers said they had enjoyed improved supply.

The national electricity grid as of 10am on Monday had 3,712MW generated from 21 Generation Companies (GenCos) before it dropped to 0MW one hour after.

According to the information from the System Operations, a section of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), only Afam IV was on the grid but with zero supply as of 12noon.

As of Sunday, the highest generation was 4,100MW while the lowest was 3,652MW with the frequency hovering between 49.04 Hertz (Hz) and 50.34Hz.

Since July 1 this year, consumers said power supply had increased in their various areas.

For instance, the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) recently confirmed increment in its daily allocation to over 500MW from the actual 300MW it had distributed before then.

Though the national grid had not cross 5,000MW, Daily Trust observed that level of load rejection especially around the DisCos’ networks had dropped significantly with some customers entitled to five-hour supply, recording over 12 hours daily.

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had attributed the improvement in power supply nationwide to the partial activation of contracts that seeks to hold sector operators liable for deliberate incompetence.

The national grid collapsed twice, in July and in August but was quickly restored and power supply improvement was sustained before the latest system collapse on Monday.

According to records, this is the seventh system collapse this year, much more than the three recorded last year.

Although TCN, the national grid manager was yet to establish the cause of the crash, some insider said it could be as a result of a maintenance of the 330 kilovolts Jos – Bauchi transmission line maintenance slated for Monday.

Some DisCos including Kaduna Electric, Enugu, and Kano, had already communicated the nationwide outage to their customers noting that efforts were ongoing to restore supply.

Continue Reading

News and Report

Police Deploy More Personnel To Seaports In Lagos Over Nigerian Students, NANS’ Protest

Published

on

Following the ASUU strike that has kept university students across the nation at home for over seven months, NANS declared “Occupy The Airport” nationwide protest.

The Nigeria Police Force has announced that it has deployed personnel to adequately secure seaports across the nation following a threat by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to shut down commercial activities at the nation’s busiest seaports ¬¬¬¬¬¬- the Apapa and Tin-Can Island Ports in protest over the lingering strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Following the ASUU strike that has kept university students across the nation at home for over seven months, NANS declared “Occupy The Airport” nationwide protest.
The aggrieved students who protested on Monday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport also reportedly threatened to ground commercial activities at the Apapa and Tin-Can Island Ports in Lagos State.
Disclosing the security beef up to Daily Trust, the Commissioner of Police in charge of Western Port Authority Command, Jonathan Towuru, said security was tightened around the Western Ports to avoid any breakdown of law and order although the student body did not show up as threatened.
The commissioner said, “People went about their businesses while operations at the terminals went on seamlessly, without any hindrance. But if the students eventually turn up, we will engage them in discussions. I must say that they conducted themselves well on Monday at the airport even though you still saw police monitoring the protest.”

 

Continue Reading

Trending