Connect with us

News and Report

I Left Globus Bank Due To Shady and Unethical Transactions At Top Level, Says Olayiwola, Ex- IT Personnel

Published

on

 

A former Information Technology (IT) officer at Globus Bank, Idris Babatunde Olayiwola, has dismissed as “baseless” and “untrue”, fraud allegations levelled against him by the bank.

 

Olayiwola in a statement he personally signed and which was released on his X handle, on Monday, said contrary to allegations by the bank, he did not hack customers’ accounts or steal their funds during his brief stay at the bank and after his resignation.

 

He said he left the bank due to their shady and unethical transactions at the top level.

 

According to him, while working with Computer Warehouse Group (CWG) in January 2019, he was assigned the Globus Bank Core Banking Application Project.

 

He said, “My team and I started the project in January 2019, and the bank went live with the Core Banking Application in November 2019. Upon completion of the project, the Managing Director of the bank, Elias Igbinakenzua, and other top executives of the bank approached me with an offer, which I accepted to oversee their Core Banking Application processes. I officially joined the bank in January 2021.

 

“Fearing for my career, I decided to leave the bank. I received an offer from KPMG as an Assistant Manager in the Technology and Enablement Department as a Project Manager. I accepted a pay cut to join KPMG in September 2021. My primary reason for leaving was simple: I feared for my life and career as a young man with all the things happening at Globus Bank.

 

“When the Managing Director of the bank received news of my departure, he was very angry and offered me a lucrative salary, which I declined. In September 2021, I joined KPMG, and my relationship with Globus Bank ended there. KPMG was the best place I worked in my entire career.”

 

Olayiwola said he later left Nigeria for the UK in May 2022.

 

“During my stay in the UK, I continued to work with KPMG until I officially resigned in September 2022. Since then, I have been in the UK,” he said.

 

He described as false, online reports accusing him of working with some staff members at Globus Bank to perpetrate fraud.

 

“The bank claimed that a fraud occurred and that I was involved. How can this be possible when I have been in the UK since May 2022? My only relationship with Globus Bank since leaving was having a bank account like any other customer”, he said.

 

He also said claims he employed someone before leaving the bank was untrue as he was not the Human Resource Manager.

 

Olayiwola said, “Also, it was claimed that I took over a staff password to post transactions. Even at the bank branch level, access to the bank vault or to post transactions was given to two staff members.

 

“Not only that back-end servers behind the network firewalls but there are also operational procedures and guidelines to ensure no single staff member or IT officer has access at any point in time.

 

“I am surprised at the manner of allegations coming from an organisation dealing with people’s assets. There is no financial institution anywhere in the world or in Nigeria where a single individual will be given access to critical servers or applications in the bank.

 

“In December 2023, I noticed an unsolicited account being opened for me at Globus Bank. I received an email about the account opening and immediately informed the bank that I did not authorise it. As someone, who has worked in the bank, I suspected there must be some malpractice going on wherein accounts can be opened for individuals without their authorization. I sent messages to the bank to inform them I did not authorise the opening of any account for me as I don’t need it.

 

“I was advised to instigate a lawsuit against them for such a scary act. I do not know the purpose behind these actions. I believe someone in the bank perpetrated fraud and looked for an exit plan. As of now, I have not received any call or invitation from the bank or any law enforcement agency regarding these accusations. All I have seen is that the professional reputation and career I am building are being ruined by some individuals who place no value on individual industry.

 

“Globus Bank may wish to hide some frauds and reckless unethical crises within their organisation, but implicating me is ungodly. Globus Bank was not the last organization I worked for in Nigeria. I left Globus Bank in 2021, as such the attempt to soil my time and reputation with the bank is evil.

 

“Lastly, it is essential to mention that the main reason I left Globus Bank was due to their shady and unethical transactions at the top level, which I and other top executives were exposed to. I did not threaten to expose these when I left. My goal was to work in a safe environment where I could grow in my career, which is why I moved to KPMG.

 

“These baseless accusations against me must be addressed with the truth. My professional journey has been one of dedication, integrity, and hard work. I refuse to be a scapegoat for the unethical practices of others. If necessary, I will expose the truth with concrete evidence, supported by testimonies from former top executives of Globus Bank who share my concerns. My reputation, built on years of honest work, will not be tarnished by these false claims. I stand ready to de

fend my name and set the record straight.”

News and Report

Just In: President Tinubu approves N70,000 minimum wage

Published

on

By

 

President Bola Tinubu has approved N70,000 as the new minimum wage for Nigerian workers with a promise to review the national minimum wage law every three years.

 

More details later…

Continue Reading

News and Report

Gov. Zulum Clarifies Son’s Purported Killing Of Chinese National At Indian Nightclub

Published

on

By

The Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has denied reports alleging that one of the sons has been arrested and sentenced to prison for the murder of some Indian citizens.

Reports has it that there were unverified rumours, especially on social media platforms, alleging that the first son of the governor, Umar Zulum Umara, killed the Chinese national during a fight at an Indian nightclub.

However, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on New Media, Abdurrahman Ahmed Bundi, dismissed the reports in a statement on Wednesday.

According to him, no son of the governor was arrested or charged with any crime.

The statement read, “attention of the Borno State Governor’s Media Unit has been drawn to rumours circulating that the son of the Borno State Governor has been arrested for the alleged murder of some Indian citizens.

“This misinformation was published in an online blog, Nairaland, titled “Son of Borno State Governor Murders Someone In India—Politics.” The blog claimed that the Governor also travelled to India, attempting to use diplomatic status to resolve the matter.

“It is on record that Governor Babagana Zulum was on a one-month vacation in Saudi Arabia for the 2024 Hajj and later travelled to Egypt to attend the annual ASUWAN forum conference in Cairo.

“The Media Unit would like to clarify and set the record straight that Nairaland and other online blogs have mischievously spread defamatory content without any speck of truth.

“We hereby warned Nairaland and all those who have spread the false information to pull down this misinformation from its website and platforms within the next 24 hours and offer an unreserved apology to Governor Zulum, his son, and the entire family, or risk legal action. The Governor shall also not hesitate to take legal action against any media outlet that continues to publicise this defamatory information on its platform.

“We would like to inform the public that none of Governor’s Zulum’s son was either arrested or charged with any crime, or involved in any unlawful activities anywhere.

“We urge the public to exercise caution when consuming and sharing information, particularly when it comes from unverified sources and blogs instead of credible media outlets.

“We enjoin all media organisations to engage in responsible journalism of truth and factual verification while recognising the potential harm and psychological trauma the spread of false information might have caused to the Governor’s family.”

 

Continue Reading

News and Report

Over 600,000 Nigerians sought asylum abroad under Buhari – Report

Published

on

By

Over 600,000 Nigerians filed for asylum in other countries between 2016 and 2023, which were years under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

Buhari was President from 2015 to 2023 and handed over to President Bola Tinubu who was sworn in on May 29, 2023, after winning in the general elections the same year.

According to a report released on Wednesday, July 17, 2024, by Statisense, a data collection organisation, of a total of 664,384 in eight years, 355,792 persons sought asylum between 2016 and 2019 while 308,592 sought asylum between 2020 and 2023.

On a year-by-year basis, 66,862 sought asylum in 2016, 91,924 in 2017, 84,624 (2018), 112,382 (2019), 73,233 (2020), 83,105 (2021), 83,402 (2022), and 68,852 in 2023.

The figures indicate a surge from the past years, as Statisense noted that within 12 years – 2004 to 2015 – only 204,791 Nigerians filed for asylum in other countries.

In total, 869,175 Nigerians filed for asylum in the last 20 years, notably from 2004 to 2023.

The report was posted on the organisation’s X.com handle @StatiSense, citing the United Nations Refugee Agency.

In another report shared by the organisation on Wednesday, it was stated that the Republic of Niger topped countries with the most Nigerian refugees in 2023 with about 200,497 Nigerians and a total of 1,268,464 Nigerian refugees between 2015 and 2023.

Niger, a border country, shares proximity with Nigeria’s north, where residents battle a spate of insecurity in the region ranging from banditry, terrorism and herdsmen-farmers crisis.

Another report also revealed that Nigerians topped the list of African countries who sought asylum in Canada in 2023 with about 10,111 asylum seekers followed by Kenya with 1,345.  It stated that 1,345 Nigerians however sought asylum in the United Kingdom and 5,136 in the United States of America.

Source: The Punch

Continue Reading

Trending