Connect with us

News and Report

FIRS Targets N4.9trn in 2016

Published

on

THE Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS, says it is targeting a revenue of N4.9 trillion in 2016. Chairman of FIRS, Mr Tunde Fowler, disclosed this on Monday at the opening of the 134th Joint Tax Board meeting in Kano.

He assured that 80 per cent of the targeted amount would be collected before the end of the year. “It is a known fact that once the oil price drops, the revenue from the sector will drop. “So, our mandate now is to ensure increase in the non-oil revenue to ensure stability in the entire system,’’ Fowler said.

He said that the meeting would address challenges militating against effective tax administration in the country. He recalled that the Inspector-General of Police had dismantled all road blocks across the country as part of efforts to check indiscriminate and multiple tax payment.

“The meeting will also review all the existing tax laws with a view to ensuring their effective implementation for great result,’’ he said. Fowler called on the participants to come up with useful suggestions to improve revenue from tax in the country.

Earlier, Kano State Commissioner for Finance, Prof. Kabir Dandago, said the state government would continue to support measures aimed at improving internal revenue generation, not only for the state but for the country. The theme of the meeting is: “Imperatives of Transitioning from Oil Revenue Dependency to Non-oil Revenue Sufficient.’’ It was attended by heads of board of internal revenue service from the 36 states and the Federal CapitalTerritory

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News and Report

Just In: Again, national grid collapses to zero megawatts

Published

on

Nigeria’s national grid crashed to zero megawatts (MW) at 10:51am on Monday, causing power outage nationwide outage.

The collapse occurred days after electricity consumers said they had enjoyed improved supply.

The national electricity grid as of 10am on Monday had 3,712MW generated from 21 Generation Companies (GenCos) before it dropped to 0MW one hour after.

According to the information from the System Operations, a section of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), only Afam IV was on the grid but with zero supply as of 12noon.

As of Sunday, the highest generation was 4,100MW while the lowest was 3,652MW with the frequency hovering between 49.04 Hertz (Hz) and 50.34Hz.

Since July 1 this year, consumers said power supply had increased in their various areas.

For instance, the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) recently confirmed increment in its daily allocation to over 500MW from the actual 300MW it had distributed before then.

Though the national grid had not cross 5,000MW, Daily Trust observed that level of load rejection especially around the DisCos’ networks had dropped significantly with some customers entitled to five-hour supply, recording over 12 hours daily.

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) had attributed the improvement in power supply nationwide to the partial activation of contracts that seeks to hold sector operators liable for deliberate incompetence.

The national grid collapsed twice, in July and in August but was quickly restored and power supply improvement was sustained before the latest system collapse on Monday.

According to records, this is the seventh system collapse this year, much more than the three recorded last year.

Although TCN, the national grid manager was yet to establish the cause of the crash, some insider said it could be as a result of a maintenance of the 330 kilovolts Jos – Bauchi transmission line maintenance slated for Monday.

Some DisCos including Kaduna Electric, Enugu, and Kano, had already communicated the nationwide outage to their customers noting that efforts were ongoing to restore supply.

Continue Reading

News and Report

Police Deploy More Personnel To Seaports In Lagos Over Nigerian Students, NANS’ Protest

Published

on

Following the ASUU strike that has kept university students across the nation at home for over seven months, NANS declared “Occupy The Airport” nationwide protest.

The Nigeria Police Force has announced that it has deployed personnel to adequately secure seaports across the nation following a threat by the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) to shut down commercial activities at the nation’s busiest seaports ¬¬¬¬¬¬- the Apapa and Tin-Can Island Ports in protest over the lingering strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
Following the ASUU strike that has kept university students across the nation at home for over seven months, NANS declared “Occupy The Airport” nationwide protest.
The aggrieved students who protested on Monday at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport also reportedly threatened to ground commercial activities at the Apapa and Tin-Can Island Ports in Lagos State.
Disclosing the security beef up to Daily Trust, the Commissioner of Police in charge of Western Port Authority Command, Jonathan Towuru, said security was tightened around the Western Ports to avoid any breakdown of law and order although the student body did not show up as threatened.
The commissioner said, “People went about their businesses while operations at the terminals went on seamlessly, without any hindrance. But if the students eventually turn up, we will engage them in discussions. I must say that they conducted themselves well on Monday at the airport even though you still saw police monitoring the protest.”

 

Continue Reading

Crime/Security/Safety

Evans The Billionaire Kidnapper Bags 21 Year Imprisonment

Published

on

Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Ikeja Special Offences Court on Monday sentenced kidnap kingpin, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, also known as Evans, and his co-defendant, Victor Aduba, to 21 years imprisonment for kidnapping one Sylvanus Hafia.

They were accused of conspiring and kidnapping Sylvanus Ahanonu Hafia at about 5:30 pm on June 23, 2014, at Kara Street, Amuwo Odofin in Lagos and were alleged to have captured and detained Hafia and demanded a ransom of $2m.

But they pleaded not guilty to the four charges.

The judge held that the sentence would serve as a deterrent to other aspiring kidnappers

Continue Reading

Trending