Connect with us

News and Report

Emefiele Awarded CBN Contracts To His Companies, Banker Tells Court

Published

on

 

A banker, Mrs Ifeoma Ogbonaya, on Tuesday told to the court how the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, abused his office by awarding CBN contracts to his personal firms.

 

Emefiele is standing trial, alongside one Henry Omoile, before Justice Rahman Oshodi of the Lagos State Special Offences Court in Ikeja.

 

In the 26 counts filed against him, Emefiele was accused of abuse of office and illegal allocation of $4.5bn, N2.8bn while he was CBN governor.

 

Ogbonna, who is the fifth prosecution witness, told the court on Tuesday that she never had any dealings with the ex-CBN governor but that she was receiving instructions from his wife, Mrs Margaret Emefiele, to transfer cash from CBN into their private company’s account.

 

She said apart from Mrs Emefiele she also received instructions from two other persons, Mr John Ogah and Mr Opeyemi Oludimu, who worked for the Emefiele.

 

The witness, who was led in evidence by the EFCC prosecutor, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), told the court how she received the instructions via her official email, and other times through phone calls or WhatsApp.

 

She told Justice Oshodi that the companies that received the cash flow from CBN were Limelight Multidimensional Ltd, Kome Support Services Ltd; Ansbaswin Resources Ltd; and Mago Farm.

 

The witness testified that it was one Emmanuel who opened the accounts for Emefiele’s companies but that it was taken over by a new set of signatories in 2021.

 

She said the two signatories to the accounts are Mr Stephen and Mrs Patricia but that all transfer instructions that came to that account were instructed by Mrs Emefiele.

 

“Whenever she sent us instructions or sent it through the other two people who worked with them, I usually confirmed from her. All the transfers that came into that account were instructed by Madam Margaret Emefiele.

 

“Limelight manages the facilities of the CBN, located at Alakija. All transactions pertaining to power and fixing things that are not working were always done by the vendors.

 

“So far, Answabian was basically used to provide diesel to their vendors.

 

“They have a printing and minting company located at Ikoyi. For Kome, there were also facilities for the CBN guest house in Ikoyi.”

 

Ogbonna further told the court that between March 9, and 11, 2015, the account received cash flow from CBN, to the tune of N1, 792,593 and N18,869,400.

 

“On February 22, 2021, there was a cash flow of N42,988,758.75 from CBN; on July 21, 2022, there was a cash flow of N37,279,964.70; on October 21, 2022, there was a credit flow of N44,641,077.60; on May 10, 2023, there was a cash flow of N93,100,000, from CBN, among others.”

 

Earlier, Justice Oshodi granted Emefiele’s request to recall the first prosecution witness Monday Osazuwa, to enable the defence to cross-examine him afresh.

 

However, the case was adjourned till Jul

y 10 for the continuation of trial.

News and Report

Just In: President Tinubu approves N70,000 minimum wage

Published

on

By

 

President Bola Tinubu has approved N70,000 as the new minimum wage for Nigerian workers with a promise to review the national minimum wage law every three years.

 

More details later…

Continue Reading

News and Report

Gov. Zulum Clarifies Son’s Purported Killing Of Chinese National At Indian Nightclub

Published

on

By

The Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has denied reports alleging that one of the sons has been arrested and sentenced to prison for the murder of some Indian citizens.

Reports has it that there were unverified rumours, especially on social media platforms, alleging that the first son of the governor, Umar Zulum Umara, killed the Chinese national during a fight at an Indian nightclub.

However, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on New Media, Abdurrahman Ahmed Bundi, dismissed the reports in a statement on Wednesday.

According to him, no son of the governor was arrested or charged with any crime.

The statement read, “attention of the Borno State Governor’s Media Unit has been drawn to rumours circulating that the son of the Borno State Governor has been arrested for the alleged murder of some Indian citizens.

“This misinformation was published in an online blog, Nairaland, titled “Son of Borno State Governor Murders Someone In India—Politics.” The blog claimed that the Governor also travelled to India, attempting to use diplomatic status to resolve the matter.

“It is on record that Governor Babagana Zulum was on a one-month vacation in Saudi Arabia for the 2024 Hajj and later travelled to Egypt to attend the annual ASUWAN forum conference in Cairo.

“The Media Unit would like to clarify and set the record straight that Nairaland and other online blogs have mischievously spread defamatory content without any speck of truth.

“We hereby warned Nairaland and all those who have spread the false information to pull down this misinformation from its website and platforms within the next 24 hours and offer an unreserved apology to Governor Zulum, his son, and the entire family, or risk legal action. The Governor shall also not hesitate to take legal action against any media outlet that continues to publicise this defamatory information on its platform.

“We would like to inform the public that none of Governor’s Zulum’s son was either arrested or charged with any crime, or involved in any unlawful activities anywhere.

“We urge the public to exercise caution when consuming and sharing information, particularly when it comes from unverified sources and blogs instead of credible media outlets.

“We enjoin all media organisations to engage in responsible journalism of truth and factual verification while recognising the potential harm and psychological trauma the spread of false information might have caused to the Governor’s family.”

 

Continue Reading

News and Report

Over 600,000 Nigerians sought asylum abroad under Buhari – Report

Published

on

By

Over 600,000 Nigerians filed for asylum in other countries between 2016 and 2023, which were years under the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

Buhari was President from 2015 to 2023 and handed over to President Bola Tinubu who was sworn in on May 29, 2023, after winning in the general elections the same year.

According to a report released on Wednesday, July 17, 2024, by Statisense, a data collection organisation, of a total of 664,384 in eight years, 355,792 persons sought asylum between 2016 and 2019 while 308,592 sought asylum between 2020 and 2023.

On a year-by-year basis, 66,862 sought asylum in 2016, 91,924 in 2017, 84,624 (2018), 112,382 (2019), 73,233 (2020), 83,105 (2021), 83,402 (2022), and 68,852 in 2023.

The figures indicate a surge from the past years, as Statisense noted that within 12 years – 2004 to 2015 – only 204,791 Nigerians filed for asylum in other countries.

In total, 869,175 Nigerians filed for asylum in the last 20 years, notably from 2004 to 2023.

The report was posted on the organisation’s X.com handle @StatiSense, citing the United Nations Refugee Agency.

In another report shared by the organisation on Wednesday, it was stated that the Republic of Niger topped countries with the most Nigerian refugees in 2023 with about 200,497 Nigerians and a total of 1,268,464 Nigerian refugees between 2015 and 2023.

Niger, a border country, shares proximity with Nigeria’s north, where residents battle a spate of insecurity in the region ranging from banditry, terrorism and herdsmen-farmers crisis.

Another report also revealed that Nigerians topped the list of African countries who sought asylum in Canada in 2023 with about 10,111 asylum seekers followed by Kenya with 1,345.  It stated that 1,345 Nigerians however sought asylum in the United Kingdom and 5,136 in the United States of America.

Source: The Punch

Continue Reading

Trending